I consider myself a “forward-thinking” guy. Meaning, I focus on what I’m pulling towards rather than dwelling too much on things gone by.
If that’s you too, don’t worry—we always have new, exciting projects in the works!
But, as we make our way through the second half of 2023—and I embark on a new decade after turning 70—I wanted to take a moment to recognize and celebrate some milestones. I also want to express my sincerest gratitude and how proud I am of this community.
As many of you know, a foundational part of this community and one of my passion projects is the Primal Health Coach Institute. Founded in 2014, we were the first institute to bring ancestral health to the coaching industry and have been leading the way ever since. In large part because of PHCI, it’s no longer “just me and my blog” advocating for Primal eating and living.
Together Is Better
At the Primal Health Coach Institute, we’ve graduated thousands of Certified Primal Health Coaches in 75 countries around the world. Our coaches span not only the globe but also diverse backgrounds, age groups, and areas of passion and focus. Such diversity amidst a shared calling—helping folks live and eat in ways that position them to thrive—is a powerful, beautiful thing.
To honor this diversity and better support coaches in supporting others, we now offer multiple paths for pursuing your dreams. So long as your knowledge and skills are solid, there’s no one “right way” to create a purpose-driven, profitable coaching career. Your optimal path may fall along traditional, entrepreneurial, medical, fitness, or corporate lines—or reflect an angle unique to you.
As our suite of courses and programs continues to grow, these paths offer a roadmap. You can stick to a designed-for-you trajectory or customize and combine as you see fit.
Whichever path you choose, rest assured that we’re working behind the scenes to continuously improve, update, and evolve our offerings and curriculum. We also put tremendous thought, care, and energy into forging new, exciting, purposeful collaborations.
We want PHCI students and grads to have the best—the best instruction, the best resources and support, the best opportunities. Intentional partnerships and places of synergy make that possible.
We’ve partnered with:
- Integrative Primary Care Physician and Certified Primal Health Coach Dr. Judith Boyce, who recently retired from her medical practice to develop health and longevity coaching programs and retreats for women over 50. As the instructor of our Health Coaching in Medical Practices Specialist Certification course, she provides insider knowledge from 40+ years in healthcare to help you launch your career as a health coach in a medical practice.
- Registered Dietitian and Certified Primal Health Coach Martha Tettenborn, who leverages her personal health journey and professional experience as a cancer keto coach. As the instructor of our Functional Therapeutic Diets Specialist Certification course, she trains coaches to implement therapeutic diets (such as ketogenic, paleo, and elimination diets) and adapt nutritional strategies to support people with conditions such as autoimmune disorders, food sensitivities, and metabolic imbalances.
- Cardiologist and New York Times bestselling author Dr. William Davis, who—after 25 years of practicing cardiology—realized he was in the business of dispensing prescription drugs and procedures, not health. As the instructor of our Human Intestinal Microbiome in Health and Disease Specialist Certification course, he helps coaches deepen their understanding of the human microbiome and its impact on physical and mental health. He also teaches coaches to guide clients in improving digestive function, immune system resilience, and overall wellness through microbiome-focused interventions.
And, for those excited about Primal movement:
- Our fitness programs train experts in movement patterns that are fundamental to human biomechanics and optimal living. They teach you how to design effective workouts that improve mobility, strength, and endurance—covering fitness for every age and every stage.
- Brad Kearns, New York Times bestselling author, Guinness World Record setting professional Speedgolfer, #1 ranked USA age 55-59 high jumper, and former US national champion and #3 world-ranked professional triathlete. Brad developed our Primal Fitness Coach Certification course. In addition to teaching you how to coach clients to achieve fitness for health and longevity, this course includes comprehensive business support—providing a competitive edge when building a fitness business.
- Ashleigh VanHouten, one of the very first Certified Primal Health Coaches and author of Carnivore-ish and It Takes Guts, brings her extensive knowledge and background in swimming, powerlifting, CrossFit, and nationally ranked figure competition to our Strength Training for Women Specialist Certification course. As the course instructor, she gives fitness coaches the tools, resources, and know-how to address the physiological, hormonal, behavioral, mental, and cultural factors that come into play when coaching women—filling a high-demand niche that continues to grow.
As with all our courses and programs, everything above blends best practices in curricular development and delivery, business training and tools, opportunities for networking and community, and the elite-level knowledge of experts at the top of their fields.
And that’s not all! Part of what makes this work meaningful and fun is never settling for “good enough.” Sure, we’re excited about and proud of all we’ve created. And, I take pride in my knack for spotting and seizing new opportunities. Heck, I’ve built my entire career and much of the past 70 years around that very thing.
The PHCI team backs me up in this and makes it happen. Together, we ensure those opportunities come to life and you hear about it. A few recent ones:
- We partnered with Simplex Health to offer a Health Coach Internship Program for students and grads looking for invaluable hands-on experience and a stepping stone to future employment opportunities as part of a collaborative healthcare team.
- We created a live, interactive, Mentored Board-Certification Program to prepare you to become a National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC).
- We collaborated with Coach Catalyst for PrimalPro™, a ready-made coaching app that can be customized to your brand and to individual client needs, while also supporting coaches looking to run challenges and scale their business.
More to Come… in Community
And, of course, the journey’s only and always just beginning. There is no final iteration—only continuous evolution within a global, ever-expanding community.
In April, our team attended and connected with so many of you at KetoCon. And throughout the year, we cultivate community, connection, and conversation on the Health Coach Radio Podcast. Our most listened-to episodes in 2023 so far include:
Reviewing the past months and decades, I can say with confidence and heart that we’ve created something truly exceptional.
We’re expanding in ways that honor, safeguard, and build on that. We’re watching the industry. We’re listening to you. We’re committed to making PHCI better and better—helping coaches earn a great living doing what they love while changing lives in the process.
Before jumping ahead to what’s next and new, I’m taking a minute to take this in. The past achievements. The world-class coaching programs and collaborations. The continued growth of our awesome, awe-inspiring community.
You are part of this. You are making an impact in the name of health, vitality, and living more fully.
If you’d like to add an avatar to all of your comments click here!